SEDAS is a Mount Gambier service established to advocate for the needs of people with a disability, their families and carers in the South East
SEDAS resulted from a commitment made by the Disability Rights Advocacy Service (DRAS) incorporated in Adelaide to establish a disability advocacy service in the South East (SE)
David Shipton was employed in December 2007 as the founder and advocate for the SE office.
Jennie Leibich joined the team in July of 2009 until 2014.
Trish Lock joined the team in January 2015 until December 2015
SEDAS aims to
· Ensure the removal of barriers to access and equity
· Ensure that services are relevant to the needs of people with a disability
· Increase the participation of people with a disability within services
· Ensure people with a disability are actively involved in the decision-making process
SEDAS objectives are
· Identify the additional needs of people with a disability
· Educate the community and service providers about the rights of people who have a disability
· Advocate for the rights of people with a disability and their carers
· Initiate or contribute to processes that enhance service provision to people with a disability
All people from all backgrounds who have a disability have the same basic rights as other members of Australian society.
All people with a disability should be able to live and develop without prejudice or disadvantage and should be encouraged to be open and embracing of other peoples in the community.
All people with a disability should be able to receive the services necessary to enable them to achieve their maximum potential as members of the community.
All people with a disability have the same rights as other members of Australian society to participate in decisions that affect their lives and to receive services in a manner that results in the least restriction of their rights and opportunities.
South East Disability Advocacy Service is a regional office of Disability Rights Advocacy Service (DRAS) incorporated which is part of the Australian network of Disability Advocacy services funded by the Australian government.